What is WDM ?
A technology used to transmit multiple optical signals by multiplexing into an one signal. It is commonly described frequency division multiplexing while it is used in RF radio carriers.
- In Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing, Only 1550 nm Wavelength band is used.
- C band (1525 - 1565 nm) and L band (1570 - 1610 nm), These bands works well with the EDFAs.
WDM Components :
- Supervisory, DCF, VOA, Amplifiers.
- Transponder cum OLP
- Muxponder cum OLP
The Relation between Transponder, Muxponder, Mux/Demux
It lies between the two MDXs to provide power to increase the travel distance of optical signals.
WDM - NE Types:
- ILA/OLA (Inline/Optical Line Amplifier)
OADM means the Optical Add and Drop Multiplexing which is used in optical link. The major parts are,
- FBG - Fiber Bragg Grating
- Circulators. These are used for this optical operation.
- TPDR Algorithm - Tunable-Parameter Deflection Routing Algorithm
- OLP - Optical Line Protection.
- FMS - Fiber Management System.
- OSC - Optical Supervisory Channel.
- DSF - Dispersion Compensating Fiber.
- OADM - Optical Add and Drop Multiplexing.
- ROADM - Reconfigurable OADM.
What is the need of OEQ ?
Optical Equalizer is used to maintain a standard power on the link where independent wavelengths are passed between two ROADM.